Javascript Menu by

2020 News Releases




Changes to call signs

Date : 06 / 08 / 2020
Author : Lee Moyle - VK3GK

A recent update to the ACMA "Amateur Radio Callsign Policy" on their website has highlighted the new changes to the "callsign for life" as proposed by the WIA in a submission to ACMA and recently implemented. It explains the callsign changes as you upgrade from Foundation to Standard to Advanced as well as the current status of callsign identifiers if moving interstate.

Callsign Recommendations still need to be processed via AMC, info at the following Link

Below is an extract from the ACMA website:

Changes to call signs
We are making changes that will facilitate access to a wider range of digital modes for foundation licensees, and provide a ‘call sign for life’ for all licensees by:
  allowing all amateurs to obtain a 3 letter call sign
  removing the association between call sign suffixes and qualifications.
If you have a foundation, standard or advanced licence, you can apply to the AMC for any available 3 letter call sign.
If you have already upgraded your 4 letter Foundation callsign to a 3 letter callsign, you can keep it if you are upgrading your qualification to Standard or Advanced. However, if you have a Foundation 4 letter call sign (Fxxx) you will be required to change your call sign if you upgrade to Standard or Advanced.
Two-letter call signs remain available to advanced licensees only.

Call signs and state/territory identifiers
Call signs traditionally indicated the state or territory where an amateur resides—for example, VK3 indicates that the licensee resides in Victoria.
  Applying for new call signs
If you’re applying for a new call sign, you’ll continue to be issued with a call sign that indicates your state or territory of residence.
  Moving interstate or changing location
It has been long-standing operational policy that amateurs moving interstate must get a new call sign. However, it is no longer a requirement to get a new call sign when you move interstate, although you can get one if you wish.
Under the LCD, if you’re going to operate an amateur station at a different location for a continuous period longer than 4 months (or 7 days for a repeater or beacon), you should ask the ACMA to consider varying the licence to change the location.

For more information see the following Link

Page Last Updated: Thursday, 06 Aug 2020 at 18:51 hours by Robert Broomhead


Click Here To Return To Previous Page
© 2020 Wireless Institute of Australia all rights reserved.
The National Association for Amateur Radio in Australia
A member society of the International Amateur Radio Union (IARU)